Let me start by admitting (again) that I have read the Twilight books. I have written about my first impressions here, and I think I also wrote more about how much the gender dynamics of the books drive me crazy, but I'm not sure when I did that.
Anyway, a couple of nights ago, hubs and I watched New Moon. And I just need to say it: Jacob is hot, and Edward is not. I love vampire stories. I do. But in Twilight? I'm with the wolves. Here are some main reasons I like Jacob, and think Bella is nuts for choosing Edward:
- He is not only hot, but he is also warm (108 degrees, to be exact). Edward is cold as stone.
- He has beautiful muscles. Edward is a bit spindly.
- He is beautifully brown. Edward is extremely pasty (of course) and looks as if he's been rolled in flour.
- His heart beats. Edward's, well, doesn't.
- His kind protects humans. Edward's kind does not (even though Edward is an exception).
- He's got that American west vibe. Edward has a metrosexual European vibe (no offense to metrosexual Europeans).
- Most importantly? He has a sense of humor, and he and Bella actually hang out and do stuff together. Edward just seems intensely forelorn and moon-y (like Bella), and all he and Bella do is argue about who is more worthless and whether or not they can be together. Bella definitely needs to lighten up and have some fun, and Jacob is the guy for that.
I think Bella should have ditched Edward and gone to live with Jacob at La Push.