Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Conversation with A Student

This is from last week, after 14 or so weeks of talking about argument and writing:

Student: I just don't really know how to do this.
Me: Okay. What's the problem?
Student: Well, no one's really showed me how to write and argument.
Me: (Thinking about how he could feel this way after 14 weeks of class).
Student: I mean, I get the arguing part, but not the writing part.
Me: Okay. Well, why don't you come by my office, and we'll walk through it. I'll show you.
Student: I'm just really busy, so I don't have time.
Me:

9 comments:

Bardiac said...

One legged A!

Ink said...

Um...WOW.

Anonymous said...

I predict mommy will be calling you when stu fails in 3....2.....
jc

The Thirty-Something Bride said...

I love your final response. You'd be amazed at how quickly people realize their own stupidity by giving them the Blank Stare.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Ye gads. I talked individually with my students the other night about their thesis statements, and when I asked one girl what her thesis was, she replied, "The fast food industry." I said, "The fast food industry... what?" She said, "I don't know. I just want to write about fast food." Okay... Their research paper is due in two weeks. I bet hers will be a real winner.

baxie said...

the post literate society is gonna be SO AWESOME!

Good Enough Woman said...

Update: He came to my office hours today! The blank stare must have worked!

courtney said...

Really? Really? I can't believe this happened. Wait. Yes, yes I can believe this happened. And look how nice you are to go over writing (ummmm...after 14 weeks) in your office. I would never do that!

loveskidlit said...

I have a grad student in a lower division course who is still trying to get the difference between a preliminary topic and a thesis statement. I have explained, repeatedly. But it hasn't taken so far...!