Saturday, November 26, 2011

Post-Hotel Report

As one would imagine, I did not get as much work done at the hotel as I'd hoped. But I did focus on work most of the time (except for 1.5 episodes of House Hunters International because, hey, I'm only human), and all in all it was a productive mini-retreat.

I had hoped to get a lot of reading and writing done, and I'm sure you are not surprised to learn that while I got through quite a bit of reading, I didn't even turn on my computer.

But still. The reading was so helpful and relevant, and it helped me shape and frame my ideas and questions, and now I think that the ideas I've been working on are actually two chapters rather than one, which is probably okay. And I also sketched a loose outline of those chapters, which is great since now, when I try to remember all of the good ideas I had while in the hotel, I can't. They have been wiped away by turkey, pie, and the craft-a-palooza that occurred at my house. Good thing I took some notes.

So tonight, post Thanksgiving madness, as I'm coming down from the fun-filled days of family and the ensuing kid frenzy, I'm sitting down to bash out some writing for an hour or so. It seemed like a good idea since Hubby crashed out after dinner before the kids even had story time.

But I'm not sure how successful I'll be since I've got Notting Hill on in the background.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, I understand how a day away from distractions, however nice like the family, gives time and space to work, and also refelct. I miss my occaisional nights & days away in Uni town. Thanks for your comment on my blog, it's helpful to know I am not the only one who struggles to 'own' their ideas.

Anonymous said...

That should be REFLECT of course!!

feMOMhist said...

yay for note-taking right? Because I swear those flashing of brilliance are fleeting! Sounds like it was so worth it for you!

Unknown said...

I always think that I will get more work done on the train/plane/at the hotel than I ever manage...

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

It kills me when I have a sudden flash of brain activity and no way to jot anything down -- really, I'd just prefer to be able to hole up *that very instant* and WRITE, forget note-taking. My notes are never good enough, as thorough as I try to be. Sounds like you are a much more adaptable writer!

Anonymous said...

So glad that you were able to get away.

And HHI is addictive! *glittery international high five*