Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Home Again, Home Again

When travel goes smoothly, it is the niftiest thing around. As in, "Wow. I can't believe I was in London this morning, and now I'm in California, and it didn't take four months of a sea voyage and two months of cross-country travel in a wagon." It makes me want to travel more. It makes me say, "I love to travel."

Not only was my return from London smooth, but I had something totally new happen to me. My plane was supposed to leave Heathrow at 10:25am. We pushed back from the gate at 10:13, and we were WHEELS UP by 10:29. Wot?! We were at the gate in SF early. Unreal.

But my last trip (during which most of the flights were delayed and/or missed, and one plane had a lightning strike just off the wing) made me say, "I miss my kids. Maybe I don't like to travel. This sucks."

It was so wonderful to be able to enjoy this trip--to not have residual anxiety from stressful flights, etc. It's so much harder to be away from the children when that extra anxiety is there. This time, I missed them, but I was able to enjoy the work and the trip, especially my walk around London. I'm hoping that the next trip--which won't happen for a while--will be as smooth.

For now, I'm thrilled to be back in the family fold, and the family is glad to have me.


baxie said...

travel is amazing, except when it isn't.

Welcome back!

outside voice said...

Welcome home!

medieval woman said...

So glad you had a lovely trip - and that you're home!