Saturday, September 19, 2009

c18 Day

Went to Dr. Johnson's House today to celebrate his 300th b-day (which was actually yesterday). Apparently, a lot of other people wanted to go celebrate (or they just wanted the free admission). When I arrived, the line to get inside was very long, so I popped around the corner to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. There, I got a fish cake and some chips, along with a half pint of bitter. Thus fortified, I went to wait in line, which, fortunately, went very quickly. As for the house itself, there wasn't much furniture or "stuff" inside, but most of the house's structure is original, and it had some cool architectural features. Also, there were a few books that Johnson had actually owned and touched, which was kind of amazing. And it was cool to be in the room where Johnson wrote his Dictionary.

Afterwards, I went to the Enlightenment Room at the British Musuem. It was my first time in the BM, and I was just plain awed by the building itself. In the Enlightenment Room (the ER), I think my favorite things were pieces of Josiah Wedgewood's Jasperware.

Then, after dinner, I went on quixotic search for one particular book, walking all the way to Charing Cross where there are so many bookstores--but no luck. Now, I'm back at my hotel room with tired tootsies, stiff legs, and only about 70 pages left of my novel before I am Without. Leisure. Reading. I'm hoping to find a decent bookstore at the aiport tomorrow. Yes, airport! I am heading home to the family!

6 comments:

TKW said...

Have a safe trip home!

And I know how you feel--I get panicked when I don't have an extra book around, "just in case."

Anonymous said...

Charing Cross? As in that wonderful book 84 Charing Cross Road? (Or something like that.) How I love that story. And film. Sigh.

How neat that you went to the Dr. J celebration. Amazing.

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Safe travels! Hope there are good finds at the airport bookstore ... sometimes I just resort to buying magazines I would never subscribe to because they're too expensive to get year round. It's a nice treat.

Academic, Hopeful said...

Sounds wonderful.

Academic, Hopeful said...

And the Jasperware is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day!