Saturday, August 7, 2010

Here Comes the Sun

Today, at about 11:00am, the sun came out, and it stayed out the rest of the day, which is pretty darn exceptional considering the summer we've had. A couple of days ago, there were two articles in the local paper about our weather. One article focused on statistics indicating that the central coast of California has pretty much has its coldest summer on record. In my little bayside town, we've had quite a few days that didn't even make it into the 60s. The other article was written by a guy from my neighborhood who said that he and his wife had been counting the number of sunny days we've had in the last two months. The number is four. (Not too hard to count, really.)

Well, today was beautiful. And I'm starting to think that the weather is going to turn around just in time for me to return to work, which is par for the course, really, since fall is typically our sunniest season. Still, it all seems a bit wrong.

But we made the most of it today with the following activities:

  1. Kid "craft faire" at which the kids sold their handmade/self-created wares for cash (and at which the kids, esp the girl, ran around buying unnecessary crafts that other kids had made). Fun was had by all.
  2. Afternoon at the beach with friends and burritos.
  3. Dinner at home: grilled salmon with rice and grilled veggies
  4. Storytime with the kids.
  5. Taught the dog to roll over.

The only rough patch was when we were reading Beezus and Her Father, which has a lot of talk about smoking in it, which prompted my daughter to ask me if I'd ever smoked. Uh, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to address that question for a few years.

Anyhoo, wonder if the sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow? Bet your bottom dollar . . .

It's late. I'm punchy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HEAR A BLOG SONG CALLING!

oh, just thinkin about tomorrow, clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow....
jc

loveskidlit said...

Enjoy the sun! (Four?!)

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Wow, that *is* an unusually cool summer. My sister would say there's something wrong with me, but I don't think I would mind. Maybe it's because of that first year in Texas where it stayed above 90 through November. I felt so weird sweating and Christmas shopping ...

Hope you get more sun before school starts!

TKW said...

Sounds like a perfect summer day. Although you need a cocktail somewhere in there...

Good Enough Woman said...

jc, till there's none . . .

LKL, Yes. Four. But I think we might be turning the corner soon. Fall is our sunny season, usually.

CT, I would take it over sweltering heat just about any day!

TKW, I think there must have been a G & T in the somewhere . . .