Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dear Daughter

Dear Girl,

I am still thinking of you as you were this morning--flipping through the Henry and the Clubhouse book that I bought. Now that I have read all of the Ramona books to you, I thought this might be a good next step, since Ramona is in the book.

As you looked at the book this morning, you were so earnest and focused, quietly flipping through the pages as I whirled through the house, tidying. Then, when I saw you lying on the couch, I thought you were just tired . . . until you came up to me, working so hard to hold back tears, and said, "I don't know if I want to read that book because in one part Ramona gets sad."

Watching you hold back your tears as you looked for the picture of sad Ramona to show me, I just marveled at how sweet and dear you are. And I've been thinking of that sweetness all day.

How am I ever going to leave you this Sunday and not see you for 13 days?

Now, I am the one holding back tears.

6 comments:

courtney said...

Oh geez...now I'm crying too.

loveskidlit said...

13 days? Is this the UK trip? Enjoy! (And you'll miss her, but you will still have a blast. London? Kindle??)

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

I love that someone is still reading the Ramona/Henry/Beezus collection to her kids. When I was teaching middle school, the stuff sent to me for my classroom "library" was devoid of Beverly Cleary. Not to knock today's kid lit, but I just couldn't get quite as excited about Captain Underpants.

Good Enough Woman said...

Courtney, Sorry! But thanks for the empathy.

LKL, Yep! I just arrived in Oxford. Now I'm fighting off sleep (after the overnight flight) by futzing around on the Internet. This weekend, I'll go to London, then it's on to Wales. With the kindle, of course! Did you get yours? Do you like it?

CT, I'm totally with you on that. We also read about five of the Little House books. You taught middle school?!

Word verification: bresti

Anonymous said...

Enjoy Oxford, London & Wales! Three of the best places here in the UK.

PS I got a Kindle too and am finding it hard to put down!

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Yep, taught seventh grade for a few years. Ran screaming from it for an older age group :)