Monday, December 13, 2010

Dear Student Who Take the Cake: Part II

Um, yes. Well. Remember this? Well, I see that you did actually submit a paper--which, frankly, surprises me--but, see, the problem is that it contains a lot of plagiarism (which, frankly, doesn't surprise me). You've done a lot of cutting and pasting from your sources without any quotation marks or anything, and that's plagiarism.

What's that? You don't understand? Well, you used other people's words as if they are your own, and that's not okay.

What's that? You didn't know it was wrong? Hmm. Well, you did miss a lot of classes, so I suppose you might have thought this is all okay. Still, either way, it shows you haven't achieved the outcomes for the course.

What's that? What are the outcomes for the course?

*GEW's head explodes*

end scene

12 comments:

baxie said...

wow!

Ink said...

Nice try, Cakers...

GEW, time for the great big F in glitter ink. Even more so after that conversation.

Is there an F-? ;)

Amstr said...

That's what I don't miss about teaching. That and grading. Oh, and grade grubbers.

Amstr said...

But I do miss having a special kind of grading pen.

Anonymous said...

Save the glitter pen, find a canoli.
jc

loveskidlit said...

Only sad you'll have to have the student again. Some students I just can't pass, but really wish I wouldn't have to see again next semester... or the one after that.

Good Enough Woman said...

You know what's REALLY amazing? I actually wrote this before I went to the final and returned the paper. And, then, I ended up having this EXACT conversation with him, almost verbatim--even his parts of the dialogue. It's almost scary how predictable they are.

And he DID ask about a class for next semester, but, amazingly, for the first time in my entire 13 (14?) year teaching career, I'm not teach comp.

I was actually kind of glass I'd already written the post because had a script totally prepared! I knew exactly what to say before the head explosion.

Good Enough Woman said...

That should be "kind of glad."

Anonymous said...

Your "kind of glass" must be a crystal ball!
jc

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Welcome to my world, GEW! It's dark in here, isn't it?

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

OMG. OMGOMGOMG.

*poof*

Yep, there goes my head too.

(And wow about writing the post BEFORE the actual conversation. That says both impressive things about your teaching savvy and sad things about the predictability of students like this one.)

Good Enough Woman said...

The thing that I didn't include in the post--which I should have, but I was in a hurry to go give the final--was the part where he starts asking, "What can I do to pass the class?" You know how it goes . . .