Friday, March 26, 2010

84 Charing Cross Road

I watched 84 Charing Cross Road last night for the first time, and it made me want to move to an apartment in New York and start correspondence with a bookseller in London. And it made me want to read more Newman and Wyatt. And maybe some Philip Roth and John Cheever--or any New Yorkish writers from the 50s, 60s, or 70s.

And I fell a little bit in love with Helene Hanff, and I just ordered two of her books: 84 Charing Cross Road (of course) and Underfoot in Show Business. How could I not? I mean she ordered William Hazlitt and Leigh Hunt! Which is actually sort of interesting because she disparages the Romantic poets. Plus, she's hilarious, what with her ranting about her poorly edited version of Pepys' diary, and so on. But I find it almost too hard to take that she did not make it to London in time . . .

Anyway, have all of you book lovers seen this movie? Probably so, but if not, it's a good one for a quiet night with port and chocolate. I watched it while hubster was in the desert. I was able to download it instantly to my TV from Netflix, which is awesome.

Yes, yes. I know I should have been grading, but after a busy work week and five days without hubby, who was off recreating in the desert, the movie was just what I needed.

6 comments:

Ink said...

I watched it! (Though I read the book first.) BOTH awesome. Both made me cry.

What inspired casting in that film with Bancroft and Hopkins! Didn't it make you kind of want to be Anne Bancroft? (Then again she is just so glamorous and smart in pretty much every role. So I always want to be her.)

Good Enough Woman said...

Ink, Yes, I *did* kind of want to be her! Except for the smoking. I smoked from ages 14-20, and now I just can't imagine all of that smoking. And I just kept thinking, "Oh, her books are going to smell just *awful* now!" I would think she'd quit smoking just for the sake of the books.

Oh, wait. Do you mean be Hanff or Bancroft? A little bit of both for me. Except the smoking.

Anonymous said...

I meant Bancroft, and yes, those poor stinky books. :)

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

I have not seen this movie! Must add to Netflix queue ...

loveskidlit said...

Always makes me want to strike up a correspondence with Anthony Hopkins, myself... Love all his work.

The Thirty-Something Bride said...

W are currently watching the first season of Lost on Netflix. I'll add it to the queue. I did, however see Up in the Air (you must respect his security line analysis - it's SPOT ON!), The Blind Side (it was a good movie) and Precious.
I do NOT know how Sandra won over Gabourey Sidibe. I am really happy that Mo'Nique own though. Both were so good. But a really depressing movie.