Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back to the Real World

I'm cleaning the cabin, hubby is at the laundromat, and we're prepping to hit the road this afternoon. After a few days of driving and a detour to Meteor Crater in AZ, we will be back in California, back home. Although it will be nice to be there, I am already starting to grieve the loss of the true sense of leisure that comes with vacation. Once we're home, instead of hanging out with the family--drinking tea or wine by the river, reading books, rafting, hiking, swimming, knitting, etc.--I will be worrying about how to get stuff done: dissertation work, house work, syllabi, new prep, campus administrative work-- you know, the list goes on forever. And worrying about all of that work--and doing all of that work--changes how I relate to my family. Instead of enjoying them, I'm often figuring out how to get time away from them so that I can get stuff done. And that makes me sad and it makes them sad.

We've all been together for four weeks, almost 24/7, and it's been great, much easier than when they were younger. I am say to say goodbye to our little family bubble and all of the fun that has come with it.

3 comments:

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

The month of family time sounds like it was *wonderful* -- I'm so happy for you. I hear more often than not about families who are busy during their "normal" at-home time, as you describe, and, instead of enjoying vacations together, don't know how to be together for such a stretch. After four weeks, everyone's ready for a return to "normal," and I think that's sad too.

Here's to many more family bubbles in your future. I hope the sadness over this one's end dissipates gently and leaves you feeling recharged for the stretch until the next break.

The Thirty-Something Bride said...

At least you get a summer.

Good Enough Woman said...

CT, Yes, we are so lucky that we enjoy each other so much during these times. And I do feel re-charged and ready dig in to the tasks at hand. But I know the kids--especially the Girl--will be very aware of the change, and sometimes they struggle with the transition. But as they get older, I think they'll understand that the busyness of the school year has the payoff of summer. Thank you for your sweet response.

TSB, True.