Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bits of Progress

This week, the kids have spent their mornings at Art Camp (of which they have mixed reviews). While they are there, I alternately work on my syllabus for my new prep* and my article. I think the article is almost ready. Could it be better? Yes. Are there parts that could me more clear and developed? Yes. But I feel as if it is time to sent it out into the world to see what the world has to say about it. I'm hoping my supervisor doesn't need another look. I sent her a message asking if she wants to see it again, but I think she might be away until next week.

In the meantime, I still have a few things to fix. I need to find a citation and page number for a three-word quotation that I used. Somehow, when I first included it, I didn't note the exact source or page number. I know which critic said it, but I don't know where. Argh. Also, I need to track down a preface to one of my novels from the 1720s because my facsimile edition doesn't include said preface. I guess I'll hunt through various editions on ECCO.

Also, I plan to give the final(ish) draft to a friend or two who might find mistakes that would really embarrass me.

I didn't end up disliking this stage as much as I thought I would. It's actually rather satisfying. We'll see if I still feel that way after it gets attacked by journal editors.

*It's not exactly a new prep, but I haven't taught the class in nine years, so, basically, I'm starting over. And it's a developmental writing class. Organizing the reading and assignments seems like sorting through and organizing a matrix that could contain infinite possibilities. I think I might need to just plan some basics and then jump in with both feet, regardless of how organized I feel.

3 comments:

Amstr said...

If it helps any, the board of the journal I worked on really saw their job reviewing as helping scholars make their work better and promoting publication. They'd even suggest other journals where the article might fit better. In considering the essays at board meetings, reviewers had to read their reviews aloud. I'm not sure it's common practice, but it did keep the reviews civilized. Here's hoping for acceptance, or at least helpful reviews!

Anonymous said...

I think it's time for an interlude.

tonight we'll put all other things aside!
excited unicorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LbvFckptY

Anonymous said...

Unicorn sayz u need another break.

And it don't get better than this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9P8-B42cA