Monday, June 4, 2012

Goodbye, UK

It has been a splendid day and a fitting farewell to England. I was looking forward to visiting a couple of small museums, but they were closed. I was disappointed, but the day turned out well anyway. It went as follows:

Leisurely breakfast at the hotel
Visit to the "Writing Britain" exhibit at the British Library
A stop in the BL store to get goodies for the kids
Back to the hotel room to read
Skyped with the family
Read more
Went to Norfolk Arms Pub for dinner (their food is SO good)
Took an evening walk around Bloomsbury (still light and the weather had cleared!)
Back to the hotel to type up some notes
Watched the end of Pride and Prejudice (2005 movie)
Wiped away my happy Jane Austen-induced tears


Now, I'm getting ready to get organized so I can get out of here really early tomorrow (by 7:00! Ack!*) so I can take the tube into Heathrow. I can't wait to get back to my family, but I will miss the time for leisure and work that I have had here. It's been like a mini-sabbatical, and I think maybe my husband and I should each take one once a year.

If I finish packing soon enough, I might be able to squeeze in an episode of Sherlock before bed.

*I realize that 7:00 isn't actually that early, but I haven't fully adjusted to UK time, so I'm still very groggy at that hour. I have set three alarms to make sure I get up.

4 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

That went fast! At least as far as the blogosphere is concerned. Sounds like you had a great trip and got a lot accomplished. Well done!

Anonymous said...

*trots a fancy goodbye to the queen*

Unicorn would look smashing in a frilly hat.

note to self: kick-ass hats are not to be confused with kick ass-hats.

CK said...

Sounds marvellous. Happy sigh for your adventures.

Bavardess said...

The BL is fantastic, isn't it? When a friend asked me what it was like, I told him I wanted to move in there. Sounds like you got better weather in London than I did!