Monday, July 13, 2009

Fiskers and Ginghers and Rippers, Oh My!

So I went through a box marked "sewing" and a canvas bag that had some unfinished knitting projects (from about 15 years ago) in it*. I wanted to take stock of the sewing gear I already have on hand. I found my nice Ginghers scissors that are still in their nice little box*. I found a good pair of Fiskars. I found at least one seam ripper, quite a few needles, several colors of thread, two fabric cutters, one little plastic measuring grid thing, some white two-sided craft tape stuff, a crochet needle, a yarn needle, a needle threader, some supplementary "feet" for the sewing machine (that I don't know how to use), and a bunch of erasers.

I am proud of myself for currently knowing the location of all of this gear. Now I just need to re-learn how to thread the machine. I have the User's Guide, so I should be good.

Also, I thought I might mention that I have recently started to feel a little silly about this getting-back-to-basics blog topic since I'm realizing that so many people I know already do all of this stuff that I'm trying to work on. My garden is fledging and smaller than all of my friends' gardens. My canning mentor has already put up dozens of jars of preserved fruit. The more I talk about this stuff, the more I feel like everyone is thinking, "Oh, you are way behind. Everyone has chickens now, and we've all been making our own mayonnaise and our own clothes for years. Plus, we've all purged our clutter and none of us have plastic toys in the house."

But the thing is that, for me, my focus on home and hearth is quite new. So I suppose I'm blogging the journey of a bookish, disorganized, take-out ordering, working mom who hopes to create a home that is a lot less cluttered while also learning some skills that make me feel a bit more like Caroline Ingalls. Just a bit.

*In the bag, there was a finished back to an unfinished sweater that I worked on during the summer of 1994. Yesterday, I gave it to my daughter as an afghan for her dolls. It was strangely satisfying to see it being used in that way.

*Scissors--singular or plural?

6 comments:

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

I just received a used sewing machine from my mother-in-law when she came to visit in June. Guess you and I will be learning how to thread our machines together -- though mine didn't come with a user's guide!

And scissors ... I treat it as a plural noun.

The Thirty-Something Bride said...

Just an FYI - sewing is generally more costly than purchasing clothes these days, especially if you don't have back-up products that you have to buy (snaps, elastic, thread, etc.). The upside is uniqueness and fit, if you're good at fitting.
The upside is that the stuff lasts longer because it's better constructed. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not. I do miss doing it though!

The Thirty-Something Bride said...

Wikipedia says:

The noun "scissors" is treated as a plural noun, and therefore takes a plural verb ("these scissors are"). Alternatively, this tool is also referred to as "a pair of scissors", in which case it (a pair) is singular and therefore takes a singular verb ("this pair of scissors is"). In theory each of the two blades of the tool is a "scissor" in its own right, although in practice such usage is seldom heard.

Ink said...

It's not back to basics at all...lots of us are strangers to certain domestic activities! I'm reading with great interest. The last time I used a sewing machine was in 7th grade home economics class!

Good Enough Woman said...

CT, Let me know how it goes! I just got a book called, "Bend the Rules Sewing" (or something like that--it's still in the box).

TSB, I'll probably be focused on aprons, napkins, and doll clothes. Maybe some totebags.

Ink, Thanks for the encouragement! I still remember the skirt I made in high school home ec.

--ginger. said...

Okay--I know I'm late to this comment, but I was at my Grandma's on a total SEWCATION talking and swimming in the pool and then sewing whenever I could. So. About this "late to the game / everybody else has been doing it forever" issue . . .. I think that this cultural movement toward simplifying and making it all ourselves and trying to slow down the consumer carny ride we've all been on for those really expensive tickets will be talked about later very much the same way people now talk about war: "The turn of the century saw a massive cultural shift toward home and away from consumerist thinking . . ." (or some stiff blather of that sort). And it will make it sound to the school kids reading about it later like we all stood up one day together and started throwing away the extra shit-ola in our garages on some agreed-upon Saturday. But I don't think wars happen like this either. There's skirmishes and skirmishes and skirmishes. So just think of yourself of one of the one ka-billion personal non-consumerist skirmishes that will add up to what will one day be understood as a cultural war.

Guy. That's what I think about that. :)