Friday, February 19, 2010

What the . . . (Curling Edition)

So this morning, I was doing my weekly volunteer service at my son's school. As I headed down to the workroom, I was surprised to see a curling stone in the middle of the hallway.

The first time I passed it, I stopped, looked around, looked back at the stone, and kept going on my way to staple homework.

Later, as I was heading down the hallway again to sharpen pencils, I stopped, looked around, and didn't see anyone. So I approached the stone.

Let me say that I haven't seen much curling on TV because I don't have cable, so I don't get daytime coverage* . And I haven't seen curling in primetime. So I don't really know how to do it.
Nevertheless, I set down my box of pencils and prepared to give it a try. Now, it must be said that I knew I couldn't get much distance because the hallway is carpeted. Nevertheless, I thought it might slide a little bit.

But you know what? I could hardly even pick it up. Those suckers are heavy. So I am now imagining elementary school kids smashing their toes as they mess with said curling stone on their way to the office or bathroom.

Nevertheless, how cool is that? That there is a curling stone in the middle of a (sometimes unsupervised) hallway in a California elementary school?

*We do, however, have a big antenna on the top of our house that allows us to get three channels. Fortunately, NBC is one of them, and it's in HD. Bonus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel badly...I didn't even know what curling was until reading about it on a blog (and then I googled it!) two days ago. I obviously ahven't seen much of the Olympics!

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

That IS cool. Now I'm thoroughly curious where it came from and how somebody managed to get it there.

Curling is amusing. D actually got the chance to try it with some of his friends from work, and he said it's not as simple as it may seem, even for folks who at one time definitely took some heavy math and physics courses (no pun intended).

Ink said...

Who left it there? And who will be the first parent to file a lawsuit against the person who left it there, endangering the kiddies?

Wait, I mean...that's really cool! (Our litigious culture has ruined all of my response mechanisms, clearly.)

Anonymous said...

I guess with the carpet, there's no need for the banshee sweeper action!
I don't understand the game at all, but I feel like letting out primal yells and wiggling my ass around to make the stone go where it's being yelled at to go.
jc

Gaga said...

This confirms my belief that the boy has the best little school ever.

ck said...

I think I'd give curling a try too...but only if I was sure no one was looking!