Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cymru

I spent the morning on the Tube, going to Heathrow and back, taking my mom to the airport. It was sad to say goodbye to her, partly because we had such a good week, and partly because I felt sad that I wasn't going back to California, too, to see my family.

But then I spent the day on the train to Wales, reading The Hound of the Baskervilles, which was a great diversion.

Now I'm in my hotel. I haven't stayed at this one before, but, so far, it seems promising. I initially booked a single, but they gave me a complementary upgrade to a double with a sea view. It's in a restored, old Victorian building, and while the room is small, it seems comfortable. In just a bit, I'm going downstairs to check out the food while I read more of the Baskervilles.

Tomorrow, I think I need to do some laundry. Then, it's time to hit the library and let the work begin.

Parting note of something overheard from a woman to her husband at the British Museum, in the Ancient Egypt room, while she was looking at the amulets that were buried with the dead:

"So why do you think they felt the need to create such a load of rubbish?"

3 comments:

loveskidlit said...

Train, reading on the train, staying in a hotel... with plans to research? Heaven! Have a wonderful recharge time, GEW!

Gaga said...

I spent the day -all of it - on the plane reading Room and Conspiracy Papers.

Sorry to leave you but happy to be home.

Gaga said...

Oops, I should have said A Conspiracy of Paper.