Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First Supervisor Meeting

Today, I had my first meeting with my primary supervisor. The good news is that she sees unity in the work that I've done so far, work that I have worried is fragmented. The bad news is that there seems to be no way around the fact that I just have so much stuff to read and write. The other good news is that she really thinks I'm doing something original. The bad news is that my argument has some grounding in philosophy, but I don't know that much about philosophy, so I need to read a bunch of it so that my argument will have a scootch of credibility. The good news is that I find all of (or most of) the material interesting.

The other good news is that I found a nice restaurant for dinner. One of my challenges when traveling in the UK is to find places to eat that have friendly service. It's not that the Brits aren't friendly, but they aren't like Americans when it comes to service. We are a service-with-a-smile culture, especially outside of big cities.

But tonight I found a charming little Italian place. Comfy decor, fireplace. And I was served by the owner, who was nice and friendly and funny. As he was collecting my money, he said he didn't want to be rude but could he ask me a personal question. I said "sure," thinking he would ask where I was from. But no. He asked about my Kindle. Within a few minutes, I was checking to see if it had books by his favorite author (Wilbur Smith), showing him how the pages turn, showing him how easy it is to read the Kindle while eating, showing him the book prices, etc. I think I might pop back in there for dinner on Thursday.

And my dinner was made even better by the book I was reading on the Kindle while I ate. It's The Sherlockian. The game's afoot!

4 comments:

Gaga said...

Was dinner as good as those in Oxford and London? The same curiosity/infrmation sharing thing happens with my iPad.

Good Enough Woman said...

Nope, not that good.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's amazing the amount of interest in Kindles everyone has. I was reading mine at swim training last night and ended up doing a demo for several people. It is easy to read while dining too - no more eating with one hand with the other holding down the page.
In answer to your question, so far I haven't started writing before I've finished reading, and know I really should, I think it's a confidence thing. It's too late for this essay, but I will definately give it a go for my next one.

Original comment deleted for atrocious spelling!