Sunday, November 16, 2008

London is Cool

Okay, yes, I'm still a Country Mouse, but I had a lovely time wandering the streets of Central London today--Leicester Square, Covent Gardens, Jubilee Footbridge, Trafalgar Square, and all of the GREAT bookstores up Charing Cross Road. I got to see all of this while just leisurely strolling along (although it was all much easier after I bought a map). And then I accidentally stumbled upon the Sherlock Holmes Restaurant and Bar where I had a good Chicken pie, some veggies, and a Coke (with ice!).

It was all wonderful, and I was thinking how much fun it would be if my husband were here so we could catch dinner and a show together. Someday . . .

So I think it's not that I take issue with cities, it's that I get uncomfortable when it's nighttime in a city, and I don't know where I am, and I'm walking alone. Understandable, I suppose.

But standing on the bridge, looking down at the Thames, watching the boats is amazing and makes me think of the history of the place.

What a day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you feel compelled to say "Sweet Thames, run softly, till I end my song?" :)

I would have. And scared a clump of passer-bys by doing that (should that be passer-byers?).

Good Enough Woman said...

Actually, I kept thinking of Conrad's Marlow in the Heart of Darkness, floating on the Thames, telling his tale. And, strangely, I was thinking of ships bringing in textiles that brought the plague. Not quite so comforting as Spenser's lines . . .

I think it would by passers-by. N'est-ce pas? :)